RSS Feeds
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil,    but because of the people who don't do anything about it    
Occupation magazine - Life under occupation

Home page  back Print  Send To friend

At-Tuwani: Israeli soldiers stop villagers from plowing, assault
Christian Peacemaker Team
General mailing
30 November 2005

On Monday, November 28, 2005 Palestinians from At-Tuwani plowed and planted
land in Khoruba valley. Before beginning work, Palestinians arranged for an
officer from the Israeli military District Coordinating Office (DCO) to be
present on the land, which lies close to the Israeli settlement outpost of
Havot Ma`on (Hill 833) during plowing.

The DCO officer failed to show up at the appointed time and did not answer
phone calls from Palestinians inquiring about his presence. After waiting
an hour and a half, the Palestinians began working without the presence of
the military; internationals from CPT and Operation Dove accompanied the

Ten minutes after Palestinians began plowing and planting, settler security
from Ma`on, along with three settler men, arrived and observed from the hill
above. Israeli soldiers arrived forty-five minutes later. After speaking
with the settlers, the soldiers ordered Palestinians to cease work until the
DCO arrived. The Palestinians agreed to stop and wait.

Fifteen minutes later four Israeli soldiers arrived in a silver truck and
walked down to where the Palestinians were waiting. CPTers and Doves
remained with the Palestinians, documenting the soldiers` orders with
photographs and videotaping. Immediately, soldiers demanded that the
Palestinians move up the hill, further away from the settlement. As CPTers
and Doves photographed the incident, soldiers began to shove, grab, and
chase the internationals who were holding cameras. Soldiers confiscated two
digital cameras and one video camera, and detained one member of Operation

Shortly afterwards, members of the Israeli peace groups Ta`ayush and Rabbis
for Human Rights arrived to document the situation, and act as advocates for
the Palestinians attempting to access their land. One hour later, after the
Israeli advocates negotiated with the soldiers, soldiers released the Dove
and returned the cameras.

Following the incident, Israeli police arrived on scene to investigate,
speaking with the settlers and taking a statement from Ma`on settler
security. When the internationals requested that police take their
statements regarding the soldiers assaulting them, a policeman threatened
the internationals saying `If you file complaints against the soldiers they
will file complaints against you, charging you with holding onto soldiers`
weapons, and you will be arrested.`

An Israeli military commander for the At-Tuwani area arrived, saying
although `the civil administration doesn`t have any decision on the
[ownership of] the land`, the military was declaring it a closed military
zone, effectively preventing Palestinian access to the land. The commander
also told the internationals that that the soldiers had behaved
inappropriately. `You have a right to take photos as you like,` he stated.

At 4:30PM the Palestinians, Israeli peace activists and internationals left
the area. Several military personnel remained in the area for the closed
military order to arrive. Palestinians from At-Tuwani told internationals
that they would continue to work their land, aided by their Israeli lawyer,
who has documents proving both Palestinian ownership and the illegality of
military interfering and blocking access to Palestinians.

Photos of the incident are available at:

Links to the latest articles in this section

Palestinian children live life of hardship in Israeli lockup
Israel kills child and crushes bones in Gaza
Gaza Deserves Our Support