The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil,
but because of the people who don't do anything about it
Occupation magazine - Related Issues
Send To friend
Report: Israel to give US only 12-hour warning before attacking Iran because Netanyahu doesn’t trust Obama
posted by Adam Horowitz
translated by MW contributor Shmuel
Mondoweiss, January 22, 2012 111
Originally published in Hebrew in the Israeli newspaper Ma`ariv
Sunday Times reports that Israel told Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff it would give only twelve hours` warning, for fear that Obama would try to prevent [an attack].
Maariv NRG, 22/1/12
Israel informed Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey, during his visit over the weekend, that it would not request US authorisation for an attack on Iran, and that it would give only twelve hours warning before launching such an attack, according to this morning`s Sunday Times.
According to the report, Netanyahu does not trust Obama and believes the President might do everything [in his power] to prevent an attack if informed in advance, for fear of rising oil prices in an election year.
Recently, Obama called Netanyahu asking for clarifications regarding [a possible] attack [against Iran]. According to the Sunday Times report, the conversation was strained, and the Prime Minister explained his position, insisting that he would refuse to share details with the White House, should such an attack be launched. According to the report, the differences between the two sides increased further in the wake of Dempsey`s meeting with Defence Minister Ehud Barak at the weekend.
Times reporter Uzi Mahnaimi adds that outwardly, Israel and the United States are trying to downplay the crisis, but the two countries would appear to be on a collision course.
For example, Dempsey claimed that Israel and the United States had agreed to postpone the scheduled joint military exercise and that the postponement would serve [the interests of] both sides. The fact is however, a defence source told the Sunday Times, that this is false. `We were shocked`, said the source. `The exercise had been planned for two years.`
Links to the latest articles in this section
The last eyewitnesses: a new film on the Nakba
Yair Netanyahu to Rabin`s grandson: Your grandfather murdered Holocaust survivors
Israel wants to deport 300 refugees to one of the world`s most dangerous countries